Friday, February 24, 2023, 10:18 AM

A duct fire forced guests at a popular Midtown hotel to evacuate

CENTRAL PARK SOUTH (WABC) — Flames broke out at a popular Midtown hotel early Friday morning.

Officials say a fire broke out at the Park Lane Hotel in Central Park South overnight.

As of 4:30 a.m. Friday, firefighters were still working at the hotel, their trucks filling the area. Central Park South was closed until about 5 a.m

The FDNY says it was a duct fire that occurred while contractors were working on the hotel’s second floor kitchen. It then spread to the third and fourth floors, but luckily at this hotel guests stay on the upper floors.

Some guests say they smelled smoke inside and left their rooms on their own after seeing the trucks.

Others say they were asleep and someone woke them up, telling them to evacuate.

Officials say the fire reportedly started in the kitchen on the second floor. Guests say the smell and smoke increased as they descended into the lobby.

Many guests spent the rest of the early morning huddled in blankets, in the lobby or outside.

Officials say no one was injured in the incident.

READ ALSO | Woman Arrested on Hate Crime Charge After Pride Flag Set on Fire Outside SoHo Restaurant


* Get news from eyewitnesses

* More New York news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or idea for a story we should cover? Submit it to Eyewitness News using the form below. When attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.

Copyright © 2023 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.

Previous articleBlack History Month: Young Broadway ‘Lion King’ Cast Takes Part in Annual Tradition
Next articleUkrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy promises to contribute to the victory in the war, the anniversary of the Russian invasion