SARASOTA, Fla. (WABC) – The family of Gabby Petit has settled their lawsuit in the death of Brian Londra for $3 million.

A district judge in Sarasota County, Florida ruled in favor of Gabby Petit’s family in a wrongful-death lawsuit they filed against Lundry’s estate back in May.

Pettitt’s family filed the original complaint against the Laundry estate back on May 6, seeking more than $30,000 in damages for their funeral expenses.

The complaint also alleged that Pettit’s family “has lost care and comfort and has lost likely future companionship, society and comfort.”

Brian Londry’s parents, Robert and Christopher Londry, were the administrators of their son’s estate.

Attorney Patrick Reilly said no amount of money is enough, but whatever the family receives will go to the Gabby Pettit Foundation.

An attorney for the Laundry family released a statement in response to the settlement.

“At the last pretrial conference in this lawsuit against Brian’s estate, I told Judge Carroll that I would work with Reilly’s attorney to find a resolution to the wrongful death claim to avoid the expense of a lawsuit if a monetary award was inevitable,” the statement said. statement. “Working with Pat Reilly and Matt Luca of Trombley and Hanes, we reached an agreement to settle the wrongful death lawsuit for $3 million. I hope this closes one chapter of this tragedy and I look forward to working with Pat Reilly to resolve the lawsuit against Chris and Roberta.’

Thursday’s settlement does not affect the separate lawsuit.

In a civil lawsuit filed in Florida in March against Landry’s parents, Petit’s parents claimed Landry’s parents knew he had killed her and tried to help him escape. Attorneys for the Laundries denied the allegations and unsuccessfully sought to have the lawsuit dismissed. A jury trial in the case is scheduled to begin in August 2023.

In addition, earlier in November Petitos files $50 million wrongful death lawsuit against Moab Police Departmentalleging that his officers were negligent in their treatment of the 22-year-old and her fiance in the two weeks before her death last summer.

“The purpose of this lawsuit is to honor Gabby’s legacy by demanding accountability and working for systemic change to protect victims of domestic abuse and violence and prevent such tragedies in the future,” attorney James W. McConkey said in a statement.

The lawsuit accuses the department and its officers of failing to follow the law and protect Petit during a domestic disturbance investigation in August — just weeks before Brian Landry killed her.

At the time, the city of Moab issued a statement denying responsibility for her death and saying it would defend itself against the lawsuit.

“The death of Gabriel Petit in Wyoming is a terrible tragedy, and our deepest sympathies go out to the families of Petit and Schmidt for their painful loss. At the same time, it is clear that the officers of the Moab Police Department are not responsible for the final murder of Gabriel Petit “, the city said.

RELATED | Exclusive: Gabby Petit’s family discusses federal missing persons bill

Petit was 22 when she and her fiance, Landry, 23, embarked on a road trip through the American West last summer, documenting their #VanLife experience online in idyllic, sun-drenched posts.

Despite their presence online, their relationship was complicated and sometimes violent. Petito was reported missing after Lundrey returned to her parents’ home in Florida on Sept. 1 and her parents were unable to contact her, sparking a nationwide manhunt that has become an Internet search craze.

Her body was found weeks later in the Grand Teton National Forest, and the coroner ruled she died of strangulation. Landry went missing on a Florida reservation and his body was found in mid-October near the the notebook in which he confessed to her murder.

A review of the Moab Police Department’s handling of the incident an independent investigator — a captain with the police department in Price, Utah, about 115 miles away — recommended that the two responding officers be placed on probation, saying they made “several inadvertent mistakes” — namely, failing to cite anyone for domestic violence and although there seemed to be sufficient evidence to incriminate Petit.

An investigative report released in January recommended new department policies, including more domestic violence training and legal training for employees.

At the time, the city did not consider any potential disciplinary action against the two officers, but said it “intends to implement the report’s recommendations” for new police department policies, including additional domestic violence training and legal training for officers.

CNN contributed to this report.

READ ALSO | The Gabby Petit Foundation is donating $100,000 to the National Domestic Violence Hotline to help other victims

———-

* Get news from eyewitnesses

* Follow us on YouTube

* More local news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts Submit a news tip

Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.

Previous articleThe city of Naples is getting back to normal before the holiday season
Next articleA judge has blocked Florida’s Stop WOKE Act from colleges and universities.