WASHINGTON – George Santos’ embattled campaign appears to be without a treasurer as the deadline for a disclosure filing looms, with questions surrounding his use of campaign funds.

On Wednesday, several fundraising committees associated with the freshman congressman from New York filed amendments to their organizational filings notifying the Federal Election Commission of the new treasurer.

But recently listed treasurer Thomas Detwiler, a campaign finance veteran who has worked at numerous other political organizations, says he does not work for the Santos campaign and that the documents were signed in his name without his consent.

“We notified Santos on Monday that Mr. Detweiler will not be serving as treasurer,” Detweiler’s attorney, Derek Ross, told ABC News. “There appears to be a disconnect between that conversation and today’s filing that we did not authorize.”

Adav Noti, former assistant general counsel for the Federal Election Commission and now senior vice president and legal director of the campaign’s legal center, which monitors the campaign, told ABC News that someone with committee credentials should have filed those amendments and listed Detweiler’s name. as the new treasurer.

“It’s a very, very strange situation because those amendments that were filed today have an electronic signature, or at least they say they’re signed by the new treasurer,” Naughty said. “I really don’t understand how this could happen.”

“It is completely illegal to sign someone else’s name on a federal document without their consent. That’s a big, big no-no,” Noti said.

RELATED | The George Santos scandal inspired new legislation on Long Island

A source familiar with the matter told ABC News that Detweiler and his legal team are awaiting guidance from the FEC on how to proceed.

Nancy Marks of Campaigns Unlimited, the previous treasurer involved with Santos’ campaign committee as well as various other affiliated committees, did not respond to ABC News’ requests for comment.

The committee treasurer’s sudden change comes after Santos’ campaign filed a series of amendments to its previous quarterly fundraising and spending reports on Tuesday.

Among the changes the company reported in the filing Tuesday was a potential indication that at least $625,000 in loans to the company that Santos previously reported as self-funded may not have come from his “personal funds.”

While indicating that the loans, which are still listed under his name George Antony Devolder Santos, are not from his “personal funds,” the amended filings do not disclose the original source of the loans, as required by federal campaign finance laws.

READ ALSO | The Saga of Representative George Santos: In Its Many Fabrications, Exaggerations, and Embellishments

Other questions have been raised about Santos’ campaign fundraising and spending, including donors who appear to have given more than the federal contribution limit and dozens of expenses of $199.99 each, just under the $200 threshold. which requires a receipt when reporting company expenses. FEC.

“It doesn’t surprise me at all that they’re changing treasurers, given that the company has a legal responsibility and Nancy Marks has a legal responsibility, and presumably they all work as attorneys,” Naughty said. “It would be very difficult for them to maintain a business relationship while they are all being investigated in a potentially disadvantageous position.”

Experts say the potential absence of a treasurer for Santos’ campaign puts the congressman in a difficult position as the year-end filing deadline nears in late January.

“It’s not uncommon for treasurers to resign or leave for various reasons, and that doesn’t absolve the company of its responsibility to file,” Noti said. “So even if they continue to squabble over who is treasurer and it’s not resolved by the end of the year, the FEC is making no excuses.”

———-

* Get news from eyewitnesses

* Follow us on YouTube

* More local news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or idea for a story we should cover? Submit it to Eyewitness News using the form below. When you attach a video or photo, terms of use apply.

Copyright © 2023 ABC News Internet Ventures.

Previous articleDeaths from cardiovascular disease in the US have increased dramatically in the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic
Next articlePaterson teachers rally for new contract, threaten to strike amid national teacher shortage