Unlike the available housing options now, the history of the struggle in Florida is lacking.

Houses and rents are being dumped across the state. Difficulty has forced 62-year-old Vernita McCaskill to stay at a hotel in Tampa for the past month and a half.

“I don’t see a way out now. You don’t know what to do from day to day, ”she told us recently.

McCaskill is now lagging behind in paying for hotels and fears there will be streets nearby.

“I am just scared. I have never been in such a situation, ”she said.

The housing crisis in Florida has become so severe that cities are redirecting money to help residents. In Miami-Dade, the mayor recently declared a state of emergency due to the “accessibility crisis”.

But why housing in Sunshine has shifted from budget to extravagant untouchables goes beyond rising inflation, stagnant incomes and rising demand.

Some of them can be sent for raids to the state trust fund. Named the Sadowski Foundation, it became Florida law in 1992 as a special annual source of income to sustain the success of affordable housing projects in the state.

Funded by stamp dues from real estate transactions, Sadowski includes two trust funds. 70% of Sadowski’s fund money goes to local housing assistance known as SHIP, and the remaining 30% goes to the state housing trust fund known as SAIL. SHIP helps homeowners with initial payment, renovation, maintenance and rent, and SAIL is turning to developers to help build more affordable housing.

But during the housing boom of 2002 under Governor Jebe Bush, the legislature began raids into the trust fund for other projects. Many of these projects had nothing to do with housing.

But raids on Sadowski’s fund continued, explained the company’s CEO Jamie Ross Florida Housing Coalition.

“It has become a habit that the legislature took a whole bunch of Sadouski’s trust funds and included them in the total income,” she said.

Ross has run companies for years to stop the “cleansing” of Sadowski’s legislature.

“Thus, the fact that raids have been carried out on this fund for two decades has helped put us in this crisis,” he said. reporter Katie LaGron.

“True, true,” Ross said. “Honestly, it was more than $ 2 billion,” she explained.

In fact, Ross explained that it is well over $ 2 billion because every dollar from the fund is used 6 to 1.

After years of these sweeps last year, lawmakers finally passed a bill to stop the raids. And last month they agreed to direct all Sadouski’s money to a special purpose, affordable housing. The trust fund is now worth more than $ 362 million. But it all comes a little late.

“We’re far behind,” Ross said. “Not in the least, these many, many years of sweeps have really damaged the production of affordable housing in Florida and safety,” she said.

While demand for luxury housing is still high, Ross said, new challenges are now catching up as developers are likely to build where they can get the most profit from luxury housing.

“You can’t blame them for that,” she said.

As a result, Ross believes that resolving the current housing crisis in the state requires more affordable housing for developers and more incentives to attract them, which includes money, tax breaks and new creative partnerships.

It’s all on the table as Florida residents continue to struggle, and the government trying to help them comes years later too late.

“Cleaning up Sadowski’s trust fund year after year is really damaging our ability to meet housing needs in Florida,” Ross said.

Last month, the legislature also agreed to allocate $ 100 million to a newly created program known as “Heroes of the hometown”Housing program. Although it has not yet been implemented, it will help first aid services, including teachers, with the initial payment and closing costs.

Previous articleA suspect in the Brooklyn subway attack has been detained without bail
Next articleThe permit request reveals more information about the new Cape Coral yacht club