The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has announced federal disaster assistance for the state of Florida to help the state, tribes and local residents recover from Hurricane Ian.

According to a press release, effective immediately, HUD is imposing a 90-day moratorium on the foreclosure of mortgage loans insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and the foreclosure of mortgage loans to Native American borrowers guaranteed under Section 184 of the Indian Housing Guarantee Program loan. .

There is also a 90-day extension that is granted automatically for home equity conversion mortgages. The moratorium and extension take effect from the date of the presidential declaration of an emergency.

The release said homeowners affected by the disaster should contact their mortgage or loan servicer for assistance immediately. Conventional mortgagees may also be eligible for additional relief through their mortgagees.

For more information, call the FHA Resource Center at 1-800-304-9320. To learn more about disaster assistance options for FHA homeowners, visit FHA Disaster Relief Site.

  • Provision of mortgage insurance – When homes are destroyed or damaged to the point that reconstruction or complete replacement is required, HUD’s Section 203(h) program provides FHA insurance for disaster victims. Borrowers from FHA-approved lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs.
  • Sharing information about housing providers and HUD programs – Information on housing providers who may have available units in affected counties, including public housing agencies and multifamily owners, will be shared with FEMA and the state. The Department will also connect FEMA and the State with subject matter experts to provide information on HUD programs and providers.
  • Providing flexibility for community planning and development grant recipients – Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG), Housing Opportunities for People with HIV/AIDS Program (HOPWA), Continuum of Care (CoC) Program, Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) Program Recipients ), HOME Program and Housing Trust Fund (HTF) Program funds may apply for necessary administrative flexibility in response to natural disasters. For more information about applying for a waiver or suspension of program requirements, contact your local Community Planning and Development Program office here.
  • Providing flexibility to public housing agencies – Public housing agencies can apply for necessary waivers and flexibility for disaster relief and recovery. For details on applying for a waiver, click here for the latest Federal Register disaster relief announcement. The Department has also issued a PIH Notice 2021-34, which advises the public of HUD’s expedited process for waivers and flexibility from HUD’s regulatory and administrative requirements for various public housing and voucher programs. As a reminder, to be eligible for a natural disaster waiver, a PHA must be located in an active presidentially declared major disaster area and be submitted within four months of the MDD.
  • Make sure HUD-approved housing counseling agencies are ready to help – HUD-approved housing counseling agencies have counselors available to help disaster victims identify assistance needs and available resources. Find at a HUD-approved housing counseling agency online or use our phone search tool at (800) 569-4287 and includes access to information in over 200 different languages. You do not have to have an FHA-insured mortgage to meet with a HUD-approved housing counseling agency. There is no fee for foreclosure prevention consultations.
  • Housing Discrimination Assistance – Housing discrimination sometimes occurs when people are trying to find and access housing after a disaster. HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity is ready to help people who believe they have experienced housing discrimination. If you believe that your rights have been violated, you should file a fair housing complaint with HUD. You can file a complaint by calling HUD at 1-800-669-9777 or by visiting How to file a complaint on HUD’s website. Materials and assistance are available for those with limited English proficiency. Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may contact the Department through the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339. You should file a complaint with HUD as soon as possible. HUD may not be able to help you if your complaint is filed more than a year after the last act of discrimination. You can also file a complaint with a state or local fair housing agency. A list of state and local fair housing agencies funded by HUD is available on HUD’s website here.

All 67 counties, along with the Miccosukee Indian Tribe of Florida and the Seminole Tribe of Florida, are eligible for debris removal, state assistance, direct federal assistance of 100% of total costs within 30 days. Statewide, federal funding is available for hazard reduction on a cost-sharing basis.