THE BRONX (WABC) — Whoever bought a lottery ticket in the Bronx has become a mega-millionaire.
The New York Lottery announced that the winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket was sold in the Bronx on Tuesday night.
The guaranteed value of the ticket is 20 million dollars.
Officials say the ticket was purchased at the 170th Street Grocery Store located on 170th Street.
News of this winning ticket from the Bronx comes after four Mega Millions tickets sold in New York won money in last week’s draw.
These tickets were sold on the East Side of Manhattan, in Long Island City, Newburgh and Plainview.
Players who won $1 million played the first five balls but missed the mega ball.
The lone top prize winner in this drawing won a whopping $1.35 billion jackpot.
Here’s a look at the top 10 US jackpots that have been won and the states where the winning tickets were sold:
1. $2.04 billion, Powerball, November 8, 2022 (one ticket, from California)
2. $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets from California, Florida and Tennessee)
3. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
4. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
5. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
6. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
7. $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
8. $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
9. $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
10. $687.8 million, Powerball, October 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
RELATED: Here’s what you can buy if you win
The credit for the recent big prizes really comes down to math – and more complicated odds.
In the fall of 2017, lottery officials approved changes to Mega Millions that significantly increased the odds from one in 258.9 million to one in 302.6 million.
Mega Millions is played in 45 states as well as Washington, DC and the US Virgin Islands.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Powerball drawings are also broadcast here on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m
Mega millions drawings air Tuesdays and Fridays at 11 p.m
The New York Lottery is the largest and most profitable lottery in North America, donating billions of dollars to support education in New York State.
Revenue is distributed to local school districts using the same statutory formula used to distribute other state education aid. According to the New York Lottery, the formula takes into account both school district size and income level; larger, lower-income school districts receive a proportionally larger share of lottery funding.
For more information about the New York Lottery and to view lottery results, please visit nylottery.ny.gov..
New Yorkers who struggle with gambling addiction, or know someone who does, can find help by calling the toll-free confidential HOPENY line at 1-877-8-HOPENY (1-877-846-7369 ) or by texting HOPENY ( 467369). Standard text fees may apply.
Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News
Copyright © 2023 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.